Admissions for the academic year 2021/2022 are now open with the following deadlines:
- Non-EU students: 15th May 2021, decisions in early June 2021.
- EU students: 15th July 2021. Decisions: mid-August 2021.
Applications for Master’s degree programmes are processed by the Masters Office. The first stage of the application must be completed via the online portal ‘campo’. More information on the application procedure is available at the webpage of the Masters Office of FAU.
Following the online application, all of the required documents must be sent to the Masters Office by post (FAU Erlangen-Nuremberg, Referat L4 – Master Office, Schlossplatz 4, 91054 Erlangen). Foreign certificates must be handed in as officially certified copies with an officially certified translation. Documents don’t have to be translated if they are issued in German, English or French.
Update due to COVID-19 outbreak: if you cannot obtain certified copies of your documents (certified translation, University stamp), please send non-certified copies by post. Unfortunately electronic copies are not sufficient. We will take into account delays of the postal service. For the final admission, certified documents will be required, but we will consider applications from candidates who were not able to provide them by the proposed deadline. Non-EU applicants who were not able to complete their applications by the 15 May deadline can apply by 15 July, but they need to consider the time required to process their visa applications, which may be even longer this year than usual.
- A complete and signed application for admission – in duplicate. This is the official form generated at the end of your registration in the campo system.
- School leaving certificate(s)
- University degree certificate(s) – (e.g. Bachelor) or, if not issued yet, a confirmation from your University that you will graduate in the running semester (incl. estimated date of graduation)
- Diploma supplement or complete academic report/transcript of records
- Personal datasheet. It must be prepared by the applicant and bear the date of issue and the original signature of the applicant. We ask you to indicate all information regarding your education starting with elementary school until today. Please also describe your work experience and internships, stays abroad, voluntary work, prizes, etc. Please do not include a photograph.
- Letter of motivation
- Confirmation of the required English level: “vantage or upper intermediate” level (B2) according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, or an equivalent score in an internationally recognized test, eg. IELTS 5.5, TOEFL PBT 552. Exemptions: native speakers, holders of University degrees taught in English.
The winter semester will begin in October 2021. Semester dates can be found here.
Advice on registration in the campo system:
When choosing the programme you are applying for, select “MSc Geowissenschaften” and, in it, “VT1: Palaeobiology-Palaeoenvironments (PB) | VT2: Earth Systems RVT1: Palaeobiology-Palaeoenvironments (PB) | VT2: Earth Systems Research Lab (ES)”. All other text in the system will be in English. At the end of your form, the system will generate a document which is your official written application for admission. It comes with a checklist (in German and English) of all paper documents you need to send to the Master’s office along with the generated document.
Contacting the Masters Office
To submit your documents in person or consult the Masters Office, please use the following contact information:
Halbmondstr. 6, 91054 Erlangen
rooms 0.032 and 0.048 for international applicants
and 0.049 and 0.050 for German applicants
Office hours: Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m.–12:00 p.m.
Need Extra Help?
In order to facilitate communication between prospective students and current students, the Section Palaeontology has appointed Ms. Isabella Leonhard, BSc, as the contact person. Isabella completed her Bachelors in Geosciences at FAU and is currently a second year student in the International Master programme. If you have questions about coursework, the student experience, or need assistance with your application prior to submission, feel free to reach out to Isabella at firstname.lastname@example.org.