The Erlangen 'skyline' (Photo by H. Helmlechner)

Financing your studies

There is no tuition fee for the Master in Geosciences program and there are multiple opportunities for students to support themselves during their stay in Germany: either through scholarships and/or part-time jobs as student research assistants and outside University.

We recommend applying for scholarships and grants to finance your stay during your studies.

Semester administrative fee

University education is officialy free of charge in Germany. There is a ca. €120/semester administrative fee that covers basic student services and a “basic ticket” for public transportation.

Costs of living in Erlangen

Compared to European standards, food is cheap in Germany, but housing is relatively expensive in Erlangen. Here you can find an overview of the average costs of living in the city. Some sources recommend having at least a €800 of income per month, which might be a slight overestimate.

Note for Non-EU students

Even though there options to fund basic necessities when you are round, everything is ultimately dependent on whether you can enter the country, i.e. to have a visa and residency permit. These have financial requirements.

Scholarships and Grants

Several scholarship programs are offered to international students. The university has tabulated some of these here.

Please be aware that the deadlines for scholarship programs are typically much earlier than the actual applications!


Scholarship of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).


Students from Central, Eastern, and South-Eastern Europe are also eligible for scholarships from BAYHOST.


  • Once you are enrolled, you can apply for a wide number of scholarships, e.g. the “Deutschlandstipendium” or StipendiumPlus.
  • Further opportunities can be found on the German portal Many scholarships are awarded to students by religious or political organizations. You can find a selection of these here.

Need some more? Get a job in Erlangen!

If you need additional funds you can also either at our department as student helper or in the city - although it might not be enough to completely support your stay.

Becoming a helping scientist (HiWi)

Usually there is work is available to become a helping scientist (Hillfwissenschaftler/Studentische Hilfskraft, or HiWi for short) to help with the teaching, research and outreach activities at the institute.

Typical tasks for student research assistants include preparation of thin sections, scanning and analyzing fossils at our mico-CT facility, contributing datasets into the Paleobiology Database or work at the scanning electron microscope. Usually 5-10 hours a week, for 3-4 months, which roughly translates to €300/month.

Additional opportunities

If you are in desperate need of additional funding, you can also get a job in the city or in the area. Most students who work in addition to their studies take up part time jobs in bars, cafés or restaurants - usually you can find something even if you don’t speak german.